Monday, April 21, 2008

The Piano

Yes, about 6 months ago my oldest was taking piano lessons, and not caring too much about it, but my younger son was intensely watching. One day he came up to me and said he wanted to play too. I didn't think it was worth it to try to find a piano teacher for a 4 year old, so I just got out a beginner book and showed him how to play middle C, D, and E on the right hand. Little did I know he would become so obsessed with it and passionate about the piano that in a couple months he would have read through the piano books himself, teaching himself how to play and how to read music. This is what he is playing right now:
And this is only the first 2 pages of the song. Maybe I am just totally lousy, but I can't even figure out the notes on half of this song to play. There are like 2 sharps playing on both hands at one time and it's too hard for me. (Of course I only took piano lessons for 2 1/2 years a long time ago.)


This is what he does though. I just go on the internet to see if I can print off any free sheet music, and then he plays it. He wanted to play "The Entertainer", so I printed that one off and he is doing that one.


It blows my mind how he can read the music and all the notes. It's almost like it's another language he has learned. I don't even know if he knows all the names of notes, but he knows exactly where to move and put his hands.


The question is--do I find him a piano teacher? I looked into it for a while and it was so expensive! First off, most all piano teachers wouldn't even begin to accept a 5 year old as a student, and second, if they did, they wanted over $20 for a half hour. That's $40 an hour!! That's crazy!! One gal wanted $300 for 3 months and that was for 3 lessons, one group lesson a month. I can't afford that!


So, for now, I just get whatever songs he wants, and assign him to play them during the week. I don't know if there is much else I can do. I can't even play the songs for him or teach him much. All I can do is tap a rhythm if he seems to be playing off. I love to watch him play though. His little hands still can't reach most of the chords, so he has to improvise in what he plays.

2 comments:

Juliet said...

Wow that is a lot of money. I think if he is teaching himself then you just getting him new music sheets is good enough. I can't read music at all...my mom tried to teach me but I just couldn't pick it up so anyone who can is awesome to me. I love music and singing but it's just not my thing.

Anonymous said...

My daughter (15) picked up the piano very quickly as well. We thought that this was because she was intellectually gifted.
We are now seeing a psychologist because of behavioral issues, and she is concerned that she has aspergers syndrome.
It is interesting to see a correlation between aspergers and gifts in the arts (piano) as well as languages and math.
Unfortunately she gave up piano last year, however is starting to play 'for fun' now that there is no pressure.
Perhaps you can find a piano teacher who will be able to teach your child for a reduced rate. Sometimes teachers will want to work with talented kids who really want to learn.
Good luck!